Sunday, November 6, 2011

Immunization 101: Cost & Necessity

I must admit that memory is not my strongest point. I know I have short-term memory now and as much as I want it to work better with Mikko’s immunization schedule, alas I can only leave it all up to the pediatrician. Or her secretary who never fails to call me up reminding that it’s time for another shot. :)


I mean, take a look at this chart:


 


Que horror! You think I can keep track of all that even with the help of online schedulers and apps? No, thank you. That’s why I think it’s important to pick your pediatrician! You gotta have one that REALLY CARES for your child.


Although as far as vaccines are concerned, there are health centers who can provide you with the assistance and even give free shots! But those are (again) scheduled and I don’t think that my memory is really thrilled to bits about that.


Thank goodness for my pedia. Hi, Doc Lynette Co! She fusses about Mikko as if it’s her own child! :D We couldn’t be happier!


Here’s Mikko getting his shots last month:



Poor baby! :( 


With all the medical advancement in the world today, you’d think there’s an easier way. Yes, there is. Now we got all these 5-in-1 or 6-in-1 shots! I can’t imagine watching my baby getting all those shots in the chart, ONE BY ONE! Hmmm… can you? 


At birth, he was given his BCG and Hepatitis B vaccines. And last month we got these two:



Infanrix Hexa (Combined diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis, hepatitis B, enhanced inactivated polio vaccine & Haemophilus influenzae type B vaccine.) and Rotarix (Active immunization of infants against gastroenteritis due to rotavirus.).


 



The first was injected to his thigh and the latter was taken orally. We were told to expect that Mikko might get a fever that night after getting vaccinated but he didn’t. Hmmm.


Word to the wise, these vaccines can cost pretty darn high so you might want to check out your options. Let’s just say for these two, it can set you back 5 to 6 thousand pesos. Eeek! But also consider this, if you get shots individually, depending on where you will get them, the price would be the same or even higher.  


The most recent shot Mikko had was for Prevenar 13. (Active immunization for the prevention of invasive disease, pneumonia & acute otitis media caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae in infant & children 6 wk-5 yr.)



And that’s another 4+K, well spent anyway. ;) But 4+K! That’s the same amount I used to pay monthly for my phone bills back in college. FML.


With the high cost of immunization, you might be wondering, is it really necessary? Well, immunizations were made for protection against serious illnesses. You know, like polio, tetanus, measles, mumps, and the seasonal flu. Bacteria/viruses = immune system = antibodies. You remember your Science & Health class? So yes, if you ask me. I think it’s really important as much as well-child checkups. Especially for the first 6 months of life. I just don’t think it’s worth the risk so I won’t take my chances. I guess when you’re a mom, you’re willing to do anything just to make sure your baby gets only the best. And whatever it takes. ;) 


Pedia advised that the next shot will be for DPT2, OPV2, HCP B3, but hey, why confuse myself? I’ll just wait for the secretary to call me and say it’s time! Til then I’ll have to start $$$aving. Ka-ching!


Hmmm. Nobody said raising a kid was cheap. Yup, nobody said that.



 


Check out Mikko’s awesome pediatrician:


DR. NAOMI LYNN LAGADO-CO, Pediatrics


Room 204, LRE Building


Corner Rizal & Lopez Jaena Sts., Ormoc City


(053)560-8910; 09173082929


drcowa@yahoo.com


Clinic hours: 9AM-12NN; 2PM-5PM (Mon-Sat)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...